Main Purpose of Job
The main purpose of the role is to provide accurate, up to date and comprehensive supplier assurance and raw material documentation in the required formats meeting the procedures of the Rowan Foods & Flint quality management system and customer requirements.
The Raw Materials Technologist is a key role in the delivery of accurate and consistent data to the entire site to produce safe and quality products.
- Work cross-functionally to ensure that all new raw materials are sourced and purchased from approved suppliers, and to acceptable specifications, including consideration of specific customers' requirements, our process capabilities and finished product requirements.
- Liaise with suppliers to approve specifications in correct format, request further information and resolve any non-conformances.
- Maintain a database of specifications, ensuring they are reviewed within a correct time period and any updates communicated within the team.
- Maintain all supplier and raw material risk assessments, including vulnerability assessments and ingredient mapping. Ensure results of risk assessments are appropriately cascaded and actions taken where necessary.
- Work with technical management to implement raw material testing requirements based on risk assessment, customer specification, COP, policy, and legality.
- Monitor vendors' performance and communicate effectively within the company.
- Maintain our traceability programs and procedures to support the assurance schemes and key commodity accreditations we participate in.
- Routinely audit our compliance to assurance schemes, and ensure corrective actions are closed off. Communicate non-conformances and corrective actions to key stakeholders.
- Work effectively within the technical team and in association with other departments ensuring that the flow of information is maintained to be transparent and communicated as required.
- Provide technical support to other colleagues as required in relevant administration functions e.g. sample submission forms, QCP documents QAS, QMS, data inputting.
- Support intake team in making decisions regarding raw material compliance.
- Assist customers with raw material related queries.
- Investigate relevant food safety alerts.
- Internal auditing.
- Review and approval of raw material specifications.
- Supplier approval.
- Completion and review of risk assessments, including vulnerability assessments and ingredient mapping.
- Trending and tracking KPI information.
- Ensuring compliance of raw materials to key commodity accreditations (e.g MSC, RSPO, etc).
- Review and maintenance of procedures.
- Track and investigate latest food industry risks and alerts relevant to raw materials.
- Ensure raw materials are tested as per requirements.
- Ensure appropriate due diligence in place for all existing suppliers.
- GMP audits.
- Completion of EHC documentation as required by customers.
- Any other duties as agreed with Supplier Assurance Manager or Head of Technical.
Knowledge & Experience
Essential level of knowledge, qualification, training, and experience necessary to enable the Jobholder to perform the job to an acceptable standard:
- HACCP training.
- VACCP and TACCP training.
- Internal audit training.
- Minimum 2 years food industry experience including previous or similar experience in a supplier assurance role/ food related qualification.
- Understanding of food safety.
- Accurate data input capabilities (including within Microsoft Excel) with an eye for detail.
- Understanding of commodity accreditations (e.g. MSC, RSPO).
- Familiarity with customer codes of practice specific to sourcing of raw materials.
Skills and Attributes
- Highly organised.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines that may lead to working outside normal shift pattern.
- Team Player.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Key skills required include numeracy, literacy, communication, and computer skills.
- Pension scheme.
- Bupa Healthcare Cash Plan.
- Summer fun day events.
- Access to portal with vouchers and retailer discounts.
- Amazing onsite canteen facilities.
Sign up to receive our latest jobs by email