- 3604 Chester Zoo
£54,148 + range of amazing benefits
Health & Safety Manager
Permanent contract – 40 hours per week
We are Chester Zoo, and for over 80 years we’ve been a leading conservation and education charity, and an amazing, award-winning visitor attraction.
We’re also a team of passionate, talented, enthusiastic and expert people, doing everything we can to keep the zoo going, from feeding the animals to discovering new conservation ideas, and giving our 1.9 million visitors an inspirational day out.
We work hard because we love animals, we care about nature, we love Chester Zoo and we want to be the best zoo in the world!
If you think you can help us to achieve that, then we’d love to hear from you.
We currently have a fantastic opportunity for a Health & Safety Manager to lead and manage, at a senior level, all areas of health, safety and compliance. This will include maintaining and developing best practice, legal compliance, policy training, audit and risk management, delivering a world class safety and compliance culture.
Key responsibilities of this Health & Safety Manager role:
- Provide Health & Safety strategic intent for management consideration to ensure the organisation is operating safely and legally.
- Ensure there is an awareness of roles and responsibilities, in respect of Health & Safety, throughout the organisation via training and a development plan that supports the delivery of the Zoo’s strategic objectives.
- Lead and develop the Health and Safety management team to ensure they are effective in advising and supporting their key stakeholders in delivering their safety and compliance accountability.
- Oversee the ongoing development, integration and enhancement of the organisational health, safety and compliance policy and management system.
- Be aware of changes in legislation and regulation, anticipating how this might affect the organisation. Direct the implementation of best practice and management of risks, ensuring that appropriate mitigations are put in place and communicated effectively.
- Manage and develop an effective communication and reporting structure which establishes robust accountability for safety and compliance across the organisation.
- Lead and implement an effective audit/compliance and business continuity programme to ensure organisational policy and procedure is being put into action, trends data is analysed and mitigations are put in place departmentally.
- Present at industry events to promote and grow Chester Zoo’s profile and reputation in this field.
The successful candidate for this Health & Safety Manager role will have / be:
- Experience working in a senior level Health and Safety role (e.g. Director, Department Head), ideally within a large, multi-discipline environment/s.
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent experience) with a NEBOSH Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health or equivalent.
- A Chartered Member of the Institute of Occupational Safety & Health (IOSH), or working towards.
- A commitment to and evidence of continuous professional development (CPD).
- Up to date knowledge of national and international H&S legislation.
- Able to interpret wider organisational aims and the needs of a diverse range of teams with varying priorities and develop a safety strategy accordingly.
- Able to influence and work collaboratively with people of all levels, including experience liaising with professional bodies, Directors and Trustees.
- Knowledge of and experience in designing, developing and implementing H&S systems to meet organisational requirements.
- Extensively managed fire legislation, FRA’s and firefighting systems.
- Experience delivering CDM 2015 in a complex environment.
- Managing business continuity and designing/delivering training to stakeholders.
- Able to manage and adapt to change, rapidly implementing strategies and tactics with agility.
Hours of work are 40 hours per week, worked 5 days out of 7 with a 30 minute lunch break; this will include weekends and bank holidays. Some evening work may also be required. You may also be required to attend relevant seminars, conferencing and network events during the week, at weekends or in the evening; time off in lieu will be given for exceptional additional working hours.
The salary for this role is £54,148.17 per annum and in addition we offer a range of amazing benefits which can be found on the Chester Zoo careers page.
To apply for this position, please click the ‘apply’ button on this page where you’ll be redirected to the vacancy on the Chester Zoo website. You will then be required to provide your current CV and complete the application form highlighting your skills and experience including why you believe you should be considered for this H&S Manager role.
Closing date for applications is Sunday 15th September 2019.
All applications for this Health & Safety (H&S) Manager role to be submitted online, and strictly no agency calls or agency CV submissions.