- 3784 Chester Zoo
£29,611 per year + range of amazing benefits
Permanent contract - 40 hours per week
We are Chester Zoo, and for over 80 years we’ve been a leading conservation and education charity, and an amazing, award-winning visitor attraction.
We’re also a team of passionate, talented, enthusiastic and expert people, doing everything we can to keep the zoo going, from feeding the animals to discovering new conservation ideas, and giving our 1.9 million visitors an inspirational day out.
We work hard because we love animals, we care about nature, we love Chester Zoo and we want to be the best zoo in the world!
If you think you can help us to achieve that, then we’d love to hear from you.
We currently have a vacancy for a Plumber to deliver a professional engineering service across our 40 hectare site, ensuring that all responsive and planned works are undertaken in an effective, efficient and safe manner.
The Plumber role:
- To provide an immediate, competent, economic and professional response to mechanical services and equipment faults, in order to sustain critical environmental parameters, business operations and a safe site
- To design, install, maintain, repair and test mechanical and associated systems across the entire zoo site, estate and rented properties
- To undertake a programme of routine monitoring and status checks on an extensive, diverse and complex range of site mechanical plant, equipment and services
- To make decisions on how best to carry out repairs to equipment and plant, or make recommendations to replace where items are beyond economical repair
- To work in collaboration with, and allocate tasks to, contractors as required, and maintain a due diligent watch with respect to their activities
- To demonstrate and promote a positive attitude towards improving Health and Safety and environmental performance
- To be able to work autonomously and prioritise own tasks effectively, including both planned and unplanned works
The successful candidate for this Plumber role will have:
- To have served a recognised plumbing apprenticeship or similar
- Have attended an approved course with regards to the Water Regulations Advisory Scheme (WRAS) regulations and hold a related qualification
- Be qualified in basic Health and Safety for the construction industry and capable of working within a Permit to Work system e.g. CSCS certification or equivalent
- Have an understanding of risk assessments and method statements and how they apply to the role
- Be able to work within approved codes of practice such as ACOP L8
- Have an understanding of Legionella Bacteria in Hot and Cold Water Systems
- Gas safe registered engineer with proven experience with gas boiler installation, commissioning, servicing, fault finding and repairs
- Have extensive knowledge of mains hot and cold water systems – design, installation and maintenance including vented and unvented tanks, accumulators, pump kits and supply boosters
- Have evidenced experience of plumbing in a customer focused, commercial environment working to tight deadlines in sometimes difficult environments
- Have an understanding of Maintenance Management Systems for both planned, reactive and legislative work
- Have an understanding of renewable heating systems
Hours of work are 40 hours per week, working 07:30 – 16:00 Monday to Friday with occasional duty maintenance hours. There is also a requirement to work occasional weekends to support the operations of the zoo.
The salary for this position is £29,611.34 per annum (this includes our 2020 pay award which is effective from 1st January 2020) and in addition we offer a range of amazing benefits which can be found on the Chester Zoo careers page.
To apply for this position, please click the ‘apply’ button on this page where you’ll be redirected to the vacancy on the Chester Zoo website. You will then be required to provide your current CV and complete the application form highlighting your skills and experience including why you believe you should be considered for this Plumber role.
Closing date for applications is 9th December 2019
All applications for this Plumber role are to be submitted online.