- Wrexham Industrial Estate
- Permanent, Full Time
A salary in the region of £40,000 to £60,000 + attractive benefits
Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Designing your future…
Are you a Senior Design Engineer with extensive experience in the design of high precision complex assemblies using 3D CAD, including the design of high speed rotating machinery? Are you looking to consolidate and develop your knowledge in a role that lets you flex your creative muscle in a complex and fast paced industry? Due to exciting growth plans, a vacancy has become available to join a rapidly expanding team where you will be encouraged to take ownership of your workload and be supported to progress your career.
Unimaq Ltd is a global leader specialising in the design, development and manufacture of large precision machines and equipment to print preformed beverage cans at speeds exceeding 2000 cans per minute. The fully automated high-speed machines are designed, manufactured, built, and tested in Wrexham before being exported all over the world. As well as an established product portfolio, Unimaq Ltd are pursuing multiple cutting-edge R&D projects to take the beverage can industry to the next level.
Established for more than 20 years, we pride ourselves on innovation, boasting a highly knowledgeable, expert, and multicultural workforce who benefit from a friendly environment with a strong emphasis on individual autonomy, teamwork, and business involvement. Unimaq has exciting plans on the horizon including significant investment into facilities and product development, making this an exciting time to join the business.
The Role – Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Working as part of the Engineering team, as a Senior Mechanical Engineer you will apply your knowledge of materials and process selection, component design and specification, fit selection and tolerance stack analysis, and geometrical dimensioning and tolerancing to design products that exceed customer expectations.
Your duties will include although will not be limited to:
- Creating innovative design concepts from individual components to complete machines, and realisation of those ideas into workable reality using SolidWorks 3D CAD software
- Designing and developing mechanical components and assemblies, including researching suitable materials, manufacturing processes and assembly methods
- Drafting and modifying detailed engineering drawings to BS 8888, including the use of limits, fits, and geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T)
- Creating assembly bill of materials and maintaining product data in ERP and PDM software
- Increasing performance and reducing costs, including managing all drawing office procedures and presenting regular progress reports to senior management
- Supervising and approving drawings for a team of Design Engineers
- Modifying existing designs and drawings in response to customer feedback
- Performing on-site audits to capture data and act as the company representative
You will occasionally be required to travel internationally to customer sites.
Our Requirements – Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
- Proven experience in engineering design, with a portfolio of proven design work
- Demonstrable understanding of precision high-speed rotating machinery
- Superb IT skills including extensive experience with 3D CAD software (ideally SolidWorks)
- Meticulous attention to detail in the design of complex assemblies
- Creative problem-solving skills with the ability to generate new and exciting solutions
- Ability to work under pressure and on a number of projects simultaneously
- Excellent verbal communication skills, to effectively liaise across all departments
- Ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team
Although not essential, the following would be highly advantageous:
- Knowledge of product handling in continuously moving production line machinery
- Understanding of bearings and seals based on load and environmental conditions
- Knowledge of gears and splines, including the calculation of inspection data
- Experience with automated roller applied inks or varnishes
- Familiarity with industrial fibre lasers, including optical and heat sink calculations
- Some knowledge of electrical systems, particularly sensors and PLC control
- Ability to modify legacy drawings in 2D AutoCAD
As a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer, you’ll benefit from:
- A salary in the region of £40,000 to £60,000 with the level dependent on experience
- Private pension and healthcare cover after one years’ service
- Based at our site on the Wrexham Industrial Estate (North Wales), with option for hybrid / part home working
- Permanent contract with full time hours, Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm (flexibility required)
All applications for this Senior Mechanical Design Engineer vacancy are to be submitted online.